ATMAE encourages the formation of Student Chapters at affiliated colleges and universities.
- Chapters are active on campus, and chapter members and teams compete in events at the annual ATMAE Conference.
- Chapters should have at least 6 members for "critical mass" and continuity.
- Chapters need an advisor, a faculty member or graduate student who is an ATMAE member.
- Chapters need to choose student leaders and inform the ATMAE Office; include non-seniors for leadership continuity.
- Chapters that compete in the ATMAE Conference Robotics competition can also obtain an ATMAE chapter banner; chapters may request a banner from the ATMAE office which may be provided if resources are available, or if paid for by the chapter.